Sunday, October 13, 2013

Filanthropy: Leading by Example

When I was in high school, I remember my parents leading by example when they co-chaired my high school senior class gift project.  It was an annual effort conducted by a committee of parents and/or grandparents of graduating seniors to raise funds for the school's annual fund or a special project.  I have a distinct memory from my high school graduation day, when my parents stood in front of the audience to share how much money was raised in our honor.  This was my first memory of philanthropy, giving money or time to a valuable cause.  As I have gotten older, I have learned about earlier generations of my family showing compassion, generosity and care for the less fortunate.  My family has been paying it forward for a long time.  It is a lesson that I try to show my son Timothy too.   He has donated books that he no longer reads to Goodwill and has participated in a Lemonade Stand for donations with his cousins to benefit a local community foundation.  It's nice to see the next generation paying it forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment